2011년 9월 23일 금요일

Revision of assignment #1 - Myself as a Writer

     I love to write. Although, I am not a great writer, I love to write. To date, when I feel sad, I read books or write poems. For me, writing is an instrument to organize my thoughts and feelings. Writing is a window to figure out more about myself; and still, writing is a precious activity. I get inspired by others' writings, and I become inspired by my own writing. I like to uprising sense of inspiration by both a written piece of paper and the process of writing.

     When I was an elementary school student, I went to the Philippines, not to study English but to open my eyes to a bigger world. I have nice memories there with my foreign friends, whom I had difficulties becoming well acquainted with beyond the wall of language. I was in an ESL class which shows how awful my English was. The class was full of Koreans and I was one of them. Without any special reason, I was very eager to make foreign friends. However, there were a lot of obstacles: the wall of language and the different schedule of the classes. To overcome those obstacles, I started to write letters in English with a lot of cute drawings. I asked the teacher to correct the errors and kept sending them. I wrote every letter sincerely from the heart. Afterwards, when my English improved enough for normal class, I became best friends with the foreigner I kept exchanging letters with. Also in middle school, when I had troubles or something hard to explain face to face, I sent letters which improved my relationships. The more you trust in the power of writing, the more people become positively influenced.

     As the episodes show, adults say my writing is sentimental and warm. I think this warm style is the strength of my writing. Whereas, on the other hand, the warm style is also a thing to improve; the warmth mustn’t stop at being emotionally touching. The warmth must raise an emotive sensation and let readers feel the joy of realization. In addition, I need to improve writing essays which are argumentative,
analytic and critical. I also feel a need to improve structure. I hope I can make those improvements in this class. I want to learn a variety of expressions since I don’t have a fertile vocabulary. In Korean writing, I try to use impressive descriptions to evoke emotions using figurative language. In English, since it isn’t my mother tongue, I’m not used to writing with imaginative sentences. I also have to pour all my nerves to care about the grammar because I want to describe a high-ranking grammar. Without a watchful eye toward "English" while writing, the vocabulary and grammar might spin out of control. One by one, step by step, I want to get better and approach people with all kinds of precious emotion within my written work.


     The term paper I wrote during Mr. Johnson's class is what I am most proud of. I know it is a common essay, but the "Johnpaper" was my first term paper written completely in English. I learned a lot during the research. Just like the "Johnpaper", I hope I can make a worthwhile essay or any piece of writing which I will be truly proud of in this class. I want to learn about friends' lives through their writing as well. I want to give readers refreshing ideas toward life through my writing someday. I want to figure out meanings of every tiny little thing, and not become oblivious of precious and yet normal surroundings. I hope this class will focus more on the process of writing and improvement rather than the result or grade.
 
     Writing this assignment, a calm smile kisses my lips. I appreciate the chance to reminisce my life as a writer, even if I couldn’t write everything. I feel like I am going to love the class :)
 
 
 
I have revised my assignment as you have corrected:)(yay~) Thank you for your sincere advices. As I correct my own assignment here, I thought a trivial change can make big difference. I also have figured out some of my writing problems which I might have overlooked if not pointed out. Have a nice weekend~

댓글 1개:

  1. Good work! I've taken note: ) When I mark your blogs at the end of the year I'll definitely see the work.

    답글삭제